Saturday, January 7, 2012

Wine Cork Coat Rack

We love to drink wine.  I love anything sweet and white, and Kris prefers red and bitter.  But after we popped open a bottle, we usually threw the cork away.  Then we thought about saving them for something.  For what? We had no idea at the time, but we knew we’d think of something.
This summer, while building a small deck (you’ll see that later), I was easily persuaded into buying this miter saw, and I really wanted to use it.  So, I thought, why not build a coat rack with wine corks?  Besides, the only coat closet was on the opposite side of the house from the front door.  
So here's how to do it:
I set the miter saw to the 30 degrees, cut the edges from a small piece of wood that was left over from our deck, and stained it with Minwax.
After the stain dried, I choose 4 corks from our stash…Blue Newt wine corks to make it pop, and found 4 black screws that were long enough to make it through the the cork and the wood. I settled on 8x3 drywall screws. 
I drilled them into already-marked spots, and that’s it. I just screwed the base of the coat rack into a wall a bit closer to our front door. 
Of course, you can use any size wood, any type of cork, and any stain color that fits your house.  And below is how it looks on our wall.  Have fun!  And please share any suggestions and ideas you have in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment